Islamic law establishes that anyone who converts from Islam to Christianity can (should) be killed if they do not recant and return to Islam. These are called “honor killings” because they claim to protect the honor of the family and community by removing the person who dishonored it and setting a dire example (threat) for anyone who might be considering leaving Islam.
Honor killings are to be carried out on men and women, but in practice it’s carried out on women far more than on men. There seems to be a presumption or hope that men will repent and return to Islam, whereas women are a greater shame and disposable.
There has been some talk in the United States about allowing honor killings without punishment by US law because they are practicing their religion. This is not some far-off problem from another culture. It’s a widespread problem.
Those who convert from Islam to Christianity, especially women, need our prayers. The following video is difficult to watch, partly because it is distorted to protect the identity of the woman and partly because it is a difficult subject to consider. Put yourself in her shoes and imagine what it must be like. Imagine if your own family wanted to kill you.
Five Prayers for Muslims
Muslims pray five times a day so I’m offering five prayers for you to pray with me.
Lord, I ask you to . . .
- Protect your children who come to you from a background of Islam. Hide them in the palm of your hands.
- Make a way, if possible, for them to find reconciliation with their families in the hope of leading them to Christ.
- Change the barbaric practice of Islam by having Islamic leaders propose more modern ways of dealing with their honor/shame issues.
- Give women the contacts and resources they need to get help and give them the courage to seek the help they need during a desperate time.
- Teach Muslim women they are valued by God and Christ does not shame women but treats them with empathy and restores their dignity.
Ask God how He wants you to pray for Muslims and what more He wants you to do.