Amani Mustafa is a former Muslim from Egypt. She became a Christian and her father made threats against her. She married a Muslim man and after their second child was born, she fled to the United States where she thought she would be safe. The threats and danger escalated and followed her, forcing her to move from state to state to keep her whereabouts unknown from family members.
This is not an uncommon scenario for Muslim women, especially those who profess Christ. Muslim women need our prayers and those who come to know Christ need extra prayers.
The danger is real. I hate to say it because it is so disturbing, but it’s common for women to be severely beaten or doused with gas and set on fire or killed. You probably noticed her dad said he was going to tie her behind the car and drag her through town to make an example of her to other women. I don’t enjoy sharing these graphic details, but we need to have our hearts broken for the plight of Muslim women around the world and the additional risks they face if they turn to Christ.
Five Prayers for Muslims
Muslims pray five times a day so I’m offering five prayers for you to pray with me.
Lord, I ask you to . . .
- Bless Muslim women with an extra measure of your grace so they will feel safe enough or have courage enough to come to You for help.
- Help Christian women in mixed marriages with a Muslim man to know what You would have them do.
- Protect former Muslims who have professed Christ. Many live with death threats for years.
- Give new Christians a way to escape family, friends, and others who would seek to kill them.
- Embrace the children in cases where mixed marriages put the children at risk. Comfort them, protect them, and encourage them so they can have a relatively normal childhood and hopefully grow up in a Christian home.
Ask God how He wants you to pray for Muslims and what more He wants you to do.