Hephzibah Agai grew up in Ghana as the daughter of a Muslim Imam. She often got in trouble if she was playing and missed one of the five daily prayer times so she knew her father would carry out any punishment he threatened.
While away at school, she had a Christian teacher who told her about Christ. When she reached a crisis point in her life, she had a dream of a man handing her a piece of paper with a phone number written on it. The man said his father wanted her to call him.
When she woke, she could remember the numbers clearly. She had no idea who the phone number might belong to, if anyone. When she called the number, you won’t believe who answered or what happened next.
Hephzibah was hesitant to share her conversion to Christianity with her father. When she finally did, he disowned her as she expected. Still, she feels the joy of Christ is greater than the loss of her family.
Many Muslims live in fear of what will happen to them if they don’t follow Islam. Sometimes it feels easier to go through the motions of something than to take a different stand and face the consequences. In Islam, a Muslim who converts to Christianity can be justifiably killed if unwilling to recant. Many families, however, disown a Christian convert. They frequently lose their possessions, too. They simply have to walk away with nothing but Jesus.
This is a difficult way to get started as a Christian. They need our prayers and support.
Five Prayers for Muslims
Muslims pray five times a day so I’m offering five prayers for you to pray with me.
Lord, I ask you to . . .
- Give new converts from Islam to Christianity a huge dose of courage to face whatever comes next for them.
- Grant them grace to die with honor if that’s your will, but protect them from that, if possible.
- Guide new converts to sources of hope and help, perhaps a church or organization that can give them what they need to grow and move forward with their new lives.
- Demonstrate your love and compassion on new converts by opening their eyes to the ways you care and provide for them.
- Connect new Christians to other Christians who can help them.
Ask God how He wants you to pray for Muslims and what more He wants you to do.